Science is the basic foundation of any technological and engineering creation. In view of the changing scenario at the national and international level in the field of Science and Technology, there is a great demand for basic sciences with considerable knowledge of its applications. GSFC University is committed to high academic standards.
The M.Sc. Biotechnology Program is designed for Four Semesters (Two Years) in such a way that a good basic foundation of subjects is laid and applications along with recent developments are covered. Students will also get theoretical and practical knowledge by undergoing industrial internship after every semester.
The more focused specialization course of biotechnology is designed to fullfill recent demands of industrial career. The M.Sc. Biotechnology Program provide an opportunity to make a career in R&D, Industries and Academic Institutions. Opportunity for the placement may be provided by the Institute.
To prepare the students to understand the biotechnology related research and Industrial applications
To make students expert in interpreting complex data related to biotechnology problems and challenges.
To provide knowledge needed to solve current and emerging technologies to students.
To make students expert in communicating issues related to industrial biotechnology to a wide audience.
To prepare students in solving complex social and ethical problems confronting the industry and the government.
To expose students to the different processes used in industries and their applications in biotechnology.
Understanding of biotechnology related research and industrial applications.
Expertise in interpreting complex data related to biotechnology problems and challenges.
Expertise in knowledge needed to solve current and emerging technologies.
Understanding related to questions they need to ask and in – depth research they need to conduct.
Expertise in communicating issues related to industrial biotechnology to a wide audience.
Expertise in solving complex social and ethical problems confronting the industry and the government.
The M.Sc. Biotechnology Program is of two-year duration. Each year is called an academic year and is divided into two semesters. Thus, there will be a total of four semesters. Each semester consists of fifteen weeks of teaching. The teaching learning process involves theory classes of an hour duration and practical classes of four hours duration. The curriculum will be delivered through various methods including chalk and talk, laboratories, power point presentations, audio, video tools, E-learning / E-content, virtual laboratories, simulations, field trips/ Industry visits, seminars, workshops, projects, models, class discussions and industrial internship.
The assessment broadly comprises of Internal Assessment (Continuous Evaluation Component) and External Assessment i.e., End Semester Examination. Each course carries 100 marks for theory with 50 marks for Internal Assessment and 50 for End Semester Examination and practical course carries additional 50 marks. The internal assessment will be through MCQ, Classroom Test, Assignment, Oral Presentation and Short Projects.
The curriculum structure is based on on Department of Biotechnology (DBT) prescribed curriculum structure. The program consists of Core Courses and Elective Courses.
To acquire a degree in M.Sc. Biotechnology, a student must study 32 Core Courses including 01 Dissertation & 03 Industrial Internship Courses and 02 Elective Courses. Core Courses are of total 102 Credits, Electives are of total 04 Credits and Industrial Internships are of total 06 Credits. For theory classes, one credit indicates one-hour lecture per week while for practical, one credit indicates two hours practical laboratory session per week.
A student has to earn a minimum of 104 Credits to get a degree in M.Sc. Biotechnology.
The program offers Elective courses and the students must choose 02 from each option offered in 2nd and 3rd Semester. Entire 4th Semester is dedicated for dissertation work. Student has to undergo Industrial Internship in 1st, 2nd and 3rd Semester which is of 02 Credits per semester.
|Semester – I|
|Sr. No.||Course Code||Course Title||L||T||P||C||Marks|
|2||MSBO102||Cell & Molecular Biology||3||0||0||3||100|
|3||MSBO103||Plant & Animal Biotechnology||3||0||0||3||100|
|6||MSBO106||Basics of Mathematics & Statistics||2||0||1||3||100|
|7||MSBO107||Basics of Chemistry & Physics||2||0||0||2||50|
|8||MSBO101||Lab 1 – Biochemistry & Analytical Technology||0||0||2||2||50|
|9||MSIM104||Lab 2 – Microbiology||0||0||2||2||50|
|10||MSIM103||Lab 3 – Plant & Animal Biotech||0||0||2||2||50|
- 55% and above marks in B.Sc./B.E./B.Tech - Candidates are required to appear for an Interaction with experts of the School of Science. Based on the performance, direct admission will be given
- 50% to 55% marks B.Sc./B.E./B.Tech - on the spot Admission Competitive Test (ACT) of 60 min / Interaction with experts of the School of Science.
- Minimum passing marks of Admission Competitive Test (ACT) would be 50% of total marks. Merit list would be prepared/put up based on the marks obtained
- Second trail for test may be given on request by student
- The Admission Competitive Test (ACT) shall be consisting of Objective questions related to Subject and English, Verbal Abilities, Reading Comprehension, Quantitative Aptitude, Logical Reasoning and General Knowledge.
- There will be no negative marking.
A Candidate must have passed B.Sc. Degree with equivalent (10+2+3) from any University recognized by UGC in relevant subjects with minimum 50% marks as aggregate of all the semester /years. (45% for SC/ST/OBC with Non Creamy layer /PD/EWS). B.Sc. Degree or equivalent with either Biotechnology, Biology, Chemistry, Microbiology, Biochemistry, Zoology, Botany, Life Sciences, Biological Sciences, Agricultural, Veterinary & Dairy Sciences, Pharmacy, Genetics, Bio-informatics or B. Tech./BE in Biotechnology or Biomedical Engineering are eligible to apply.
The registration fee for submitting online application form is Rs. 500/- (Rupees Five Hundred Only), which is to be paid online.
- A Candidate must have passed B.Sc. Degree with equivalent (10+2+3) from any University recognized by UGC in relevant subjects with minimum 50% marks as aggregate of all the semester /years. (45% for SC/ST/OBC with Non Creamy layer /PD/EWS).
- Candidates who have appeared for the final semester of qualifying examination can also apply. In such case, the candidates are required to upload and submit the results as soon as they are available through E-mail (scanned image).
- 20% of the total seats for any M.Sc. programmes will be filled in by the students who have passed B. Sc. in relevant branch from GSFC University.
- Intake percentage for students outside GSFC University: 80% of the sanctioned intake will be filled in by inviting application on All India basis, including the students from GSFC University. The admissions will be offered based on the merit list and test / interaction, if required.
- Reserved seats remaining vacant after last date of application submission in any category shall be converted to open category seats, after due verification of all the necessary documents for admission.